Erasmus Policy Statement
Novi Sad School of Business (NSSB) is a public High Educational Institution which offers professional undergraduate programmes in the field of finance, trade, entrepreneurship, tourism and applied computer science. In postgraduate level our institution offers specialist professional studies in the field of banking and stock operations and management, and the master of professional studies programme in the field of international business. The primary aim of NSSB is to educate professionals with a competitive advantage in the labour market, and improve its study programmes by adhering to the European standards and the latest achievements in teaching and learning, through cooperation and exchange of best practice with organizations in Europe and the world. The NSSB internationalization strategy defines the following main areas of activity and strategic goals of strengthening and recognizing its position in the world:
- Student and staff mobility – NSSB encourages the exchange and mobility of students, teaching and non-teaching staff within the Erasmus+ Programme and other available programmes with the view of exchanging knowledge, gaining experience, developing and implementing professional competences. NSSB strives to create a balance between incoming and outgoing mobility
- Development of innovative educational programmes – NSSB is dedicated to innovate and design new study programmes, as well as life-long learning programmes by following international best practices aware of the labour market needs.
- International cooperation – NSSB strive to improve the existing cooperation, but also to extend and establish cooperation with higher education institutions, business organizations and international scientific and professional organizations in the region, Europe and the rest of the world in order to strengthen the educational, scientific, research and professional potential of students and employees, establish new contacts and build strong ties, as well as exchange knowledge, skills and experience.
- Running and participating in international projects – NSSB strive to actively participate and efficiently use the resources and opportunities available through EU projects. It will initiate, run and coordinate or collaborate in international projects, primarily dedicated to the promotion of education, research and advancement of professional knowledge and competencies. NSSB strive to create conditions for the involvement of as many teaching and non-teaching staff members as possible in international projects, thus providing them with the opportunity to work in the multicultural environment, to constantly develop their professional and academic skills and knowledge and contribute to the sustainable development of the economy and society.
Partners’ selection. As one of the key objectives of internationalization is expanding partnerships in Europe and the world, NSSB will strive to increase partnership with other institutions in terms of quantity and quality. When establishing partnerships with other higher education institutions, NSSB will take into account the educational system, the complementarity of curricula, the availability of courses and programmes, staff’s common interests in research and teaching, existing partnerships, possibility for transfer credits, the necessary language skills, and the possibility to include the appropriate number of students and staff in the activities in order to achieve an exchange balance.
Geographical areas. Partnerships are established on the basis of NSB Internationalisation long term strategy. So far, NSSB has signed cooperation agreements with educational institutions and organizations in Europe (Germany, Sweden, Slovenia, Poland), in the region (Croatia) and outside Europe (Russia). An important segment of NSSB study programmes is student’s internship. As a result NSSB has built links with a significant number of enterprises in Serbia. In the following period, NSSB will seek to extend the number of agreements with foreign business organizations in the global environment, and will try to include as many students as possible in the activities. NSSB wishes to cooperate with HEIs within the EU, especially with: Hungary, Austria, Italy, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Slovenia, Poland and Germany. At the same time NSSB wishes to develop cooperation with HEIs from neighbouring countries as well as HEIs in the rest of the world, China, India and Russia in particular.
Target groups. In the Erasmus + Mobility Programme the key target groups are undergraduate and graduate students and teaching and non-teaching staff. The aim of mobility is to gain new experience, knowledge and skills in a contemporary, international environment, improving professional competencies, establishing and deepening cooperation, and initiating new projects. NSSB ensures equal treatment for all participants during exchange and mobility, as well as adequate conditions for work and study. We encourage the participation of persons with special needs and disadvantaged groups in particular.
Internationalization is one of the strategic goals of the NSSB. NSSB encourages and supports the development of inter-institutional cooperation and international strategic partnerships with educational and business institutions with the aim of participating in mobility programmes, developing joint initiatives, projects, exchanging knowledge, experience and best practices. In line with the NSSB’s strategic orientation, internationalization activities concentrate on developing new and improving existing study programmes and courses, in line with the most recent scientific achievements and sensitive to the needs of the society and the economy. Additionally, focus is on the modernization of education and the educational system.
In this respect, NSSB strive to develop new partnerships, while the existing ones are strengthened and, should the need arise, bilateral cooperation will be brought up to the level of strategic partnership which implies coordinated collaboration in several different areas such as joint project management, the efficient use of financial resources of partner institutions, joint capacity building, etc. Strategic partnerships are developed selectively, with institutions in the region, the EU and the world renowned for their achievements in the field of education, science and the transfer of knowledge.
So far, NSSB has participated in several projects financed by the Provincial Secretariat for Higher Education and Scientific Research of the AP of Vojvodina. Two applications for Jean Monnet programme demonstrate to NSSB’s strategic commitment to internationalization. For the development of strategic partnerships and capacity building in higher education projects, NSSB applied as a partner. As for the School’s activities at the EU level, NSSB’s aim is to increase the number of partnerships and be an applicant or partner for the following Erasmus + programmes:
- Mobility projects in the field of higher education (KA1) for students, teaching and non-teaching staff with the aim of studying, practicing, teaching and training. This will increase the opportunities for studying and working in a multicultural and international environment, broadening international experience, finding work placement, increasing linguistic skills of mobile participants and enhancing the professional competencies of teaching and non-teaching staff;
- Capacity Building Programme in Higher Education (KA2) in order to ensure the exchange of best practices through cooperation with HEI and other institutions, and ensure the modernization of higher education through the development of innovative study programmes, improvement of management and maintaining various forms of interaction between higher education and society as a whole;
- Building strategic partnerships (KA2) with education, training and youth organizations in programme countries, with the aim of cooperating in order to modernize the institution, exchange experiences, knowledge and innovative practices;
- Forming alliances with employers (CA2) to ensure the development of courses and training for vocational and professional purposes, in line with the needs of the labour market;
- Developing a Knowledge Alliance (KA2) through transnational projects in cooperation with HEIs and organizations from different disciplines and sectors with the view of developing new approaches to teaching and learning, promoting entrepreneurial spirit among students and employees, and facilitating knowledge transfer through exchange programmes;
- Jean Monnet programme to promote excellence in teaching, organization of courses, research, conferences and publishing of results in the field of EU studies at the local, regional and international level.
Special attention is given to projects that contribute to the modernization of the educational system in Serbia and Europe in line with the 2017 European Commission’s plan for modernization of higher education in Europe. NSSB is intensifying its cooperation with HEI in EU countries. At the non-EU level, NSSB is planning to increase its activities in project cooperation and application for projects involving the “neighbouring countries”. Furthermore NSSB plans to expand existing cooperation with partners from Russia, and develop cooperation with institutions from China, India and other Asian countries. In particular, NSSB will strive to transfer its experience and knowledge to less developed countries and institutions if opportunities arise.
Support for more effective implementation of the basic strategic goals and objectives are provided by the Office for International Cooperation and Projects. The office is responsible for exchange programme operational academic and administrative tasks, coordination of international cooperation projects, and examination and preparation of documents and data relevant to decision making related to internationalization activities. In accordance with NSSB regulatory acts, student and staff mobility period and academic achievements are fully recognized in Proof of Recognition and Diploma supplement. International cooperation is considered qualifying for staff and the extent to which academic/administrative staff do teaching, research and training in international cooperation is one of criteria for institution annual self-evaluation document regarding quality of institution academic and administrative resources. The periods of staff mobility under the Erasmus mobility programme and engagement in Erasmus + international projects KA2 are also recognized in the individual performance evaluation and in personal tenure track.
Internationalization for NSSB represents an investment and requires long-term commitment to students, teaching and non-teaching staff and international partners. NSSB is focused on implementation of the goals of internationalization, that is, continuation of the process of implementation of international and intercultural elements in teaching, research and cooperation projects through the main activities of the Erasmus + Programme. In this way, the inclusion of NSSB in regional, European and global flows of information in the field of science, higher education and knowledge transfer will be ensured. On the one hand, NSSB benefit from internationalization through recognition and voluntary acceptance of foreign values, standards and achievements, and on the other, from presenting its own system of values and achievements in various areas and from creating the conditions for them to be recognized and accepted in Europe and the world. The internationalization strategy reinforces the international position of NSSB and allows the recognition of professional, educational, scientific, research, development, innovative and socially sustainable achievements through various forms of international cooperation in the field of higher education, scientific research and international exchange and mobility of students, teaching and non-teaching staff.
Key benefits as regards NSSB modernization to be achieved through inclusion in Erasmus programs, in line with the EU Agenda for Higher Education (2017) are as follows:
- Development of new and innovation of existing study programmes through international cooperation and partnerships with educational institutions and businesses, as well as development of lifelong learning programmes to provide graduates with high-level, employability skills, as well as the transferable skills that equip graduates for a fast-changing labour market. Innovative methods of teaching and learning will be used in the work with students, and cooperation projects will provide opportunities for acquiring international experience in terms of work placement and studying. All these activities will aim at tackling future skills mismatches and promoting excellence and skills development;
- Through Erasmus Programmes, NSSB will strive to improve the position of all students and employees through various activities in order to provide equal opportunities for all. Primary goals will be better education and standard of living of students, as well as encouraging continuation of education and participation in lifelong learning programmes. NSSB will strive to modernize by developing distance learning programmes so that disadvantaged groups, employees, elderly people, people with disabilities and others could have easy access to education. NSSB will also aim to be, through cooperation with secondary schools and business organizations, one of the key partners in building inclusive and connected higher education systems.
- Ensuring higher education institutions contribute to innovation – Through Erasmus programmes, NSSB will actively engage in international educational, scientific and business flows of knowledge with the aim of strengthening innovation potential and recognisability at regional, European and global level. NSSB will encourage its teachers, associates and students to take an active part in exchange, improvement and research programmes, participation in conferences and meetings in order to exchange knowledge and skills, and disseminate the results of professional and scientific work. NSSB will provide support to underdeveloped areas in the region, Europe and the world through transfer of knowledge. NSSB will strive to strengthen and develop the innovative and entrepreneurial potential of students and employees, as well as the development of links between education, research and business with the aim of contributing to innovation at local, regional and European level
- Supporting effective and efficient higher education systems – participation in Erasmus programmes can contribute to finding new and better solutions for the management and financing of higher education, in line with the needs of society, through cooperation with key stakeholders and analysis of the experiences of other institutions.